Friday, February 02, 2007

Week 5: Two Views of the Thames

Travelling to and from a client's workplace I tend to drive near to the Thames so this week I thought I would try and capture the magic of the river. However, having taken a few very different shots I could not decide which one best captured my feeling for the river, so I am posting two contrasting views.

Details: Nikon D80, Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3, focal length 42mm, 30 seconds @ f/16, ISO 200

This first shot was taken from the bank of the Thames at Pangbourne, opposite the Swan pub. Pangbourne is a place I like as the "vibe" feels good any time of the year. I used to have an office in the village and felt it was time to capture something of the feel of the place. Taken at night on the way home from work, I had planned to take a quick shot before meeting some friends and an hour later I was still looking at the view and getting cold!

Details: Nikon D80, Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3, focal length 125mm, 1/125 second @ f/7.1, ISO 200

The second picture is much closer to my company's HQ just to the East of Reading and on the same campus park as Microsoft and Oracle. There is a watersport centre on the bank of the thames and the pile of canoes on the opposite bank reminded me of my canoeing experiences many years ago. So, feeling nostalgic, I desaturated the image to take it - and me - back a few years.

6 comments:

Kelly Steele said...

I especially like the bottom shot. The colors in the canoes play great against the sublte surroundings.

Unknown said...

I like what you have achieved in both of these shots. The green 'bubbles' on the first one is fascinating. The colors of the canoes are good.

sacker said...

I love the top shot. It has some wonderful colors, with the blue sky, orange-ish lights, and green halo. Very cool.

Germaine said...

I really like both shots. The bottom one really captures the feel of a cold winter day. I like the colors and the lens flare in the night shot.

Good work. Keep it coming.

Mike Holley said...

Two great shots. Good work with the colours in the second one.

bvlindalou said...

I like the top pic the best....sucker for the colors