Sunday, February 18, 2007

Week 7: Gasworks By The Thames & Kennet

Details: Nikon D80, Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, focal length 52mm, 1/80 second -1/3 EV @ f/7.1, ISO 100

Walking along the Thames at the start of the week as part of an attempt to get more exercise and reduce stress I came to the point where the Kennet becomes its own river. Situated at this point is the Reading Holder Station, where there are several gasometers and a lot of supporting pipework and plant. What struck me about the site was the real mixture of the old and the new, the plant being a strange mixture of Victorian-style heavy engineering and more modern constructs.

The site is exposed and what caught my eye was the amount of rusting superstructure on the site. This shot tries to capture that sense of metal decay in the midst of what is still a working environment, a feeling of the forgotten and the overlooked.

5 comments:

Germaine said...

Nice subject matter, and I like the partial desat to emphasize the rust.

Kelly Steele said...

I like the grungy feel of this. Old rusty stuff is cool.

Unknown said...

Rusting metal has a certain charm to it, doesn't it? The peel of the paint and the color contrast from aqua blue to red is quite dramatic. I didn't notice the selective coloring till the 4th time I looked at it. I also love the dof putting the newer stuff in a slight blur behind it. It adds to the differences of the metals.

Mike Holley said...

Great capture and good PP work to being out the rust and decay.

Jen P. said...

I love rust! And the textures in this are great. Nice work with the desat as I'm sure it's a little busy in full color. It really helps put the emphasis on the pipes.