Sunday, February 11, 2007

Week 6: Snow, Swans and the Thames

Details: Nikon D80, Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3, focal length 52mm, 1/120 second @ f/14, ISO 200

The first snow of the year fell on February 8 and I slipped out at lunch time to see what photo opportunities existed down on the Thames, where I was last week with the canoes. As it happened there were a couple of other photographers with the same idea and I would guess we all took many of the same pictures. I wonder what the collective noun for photographers is?

The swans were making use of the grass revealed by folk making snow men and these three obligingly lined up for me. It was the first time I had shot in snow with the Nikon so I added a circular polarising filter to my zoom lens to see if the glare and highlights could be better controlled - and I think it did help. Anyhow, this picture was subject to limited post processing in Bibble Pro, a really good RAW processing tool that I am beginning to get to use properly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this came out great. The polarizer helped a lot. The line of the swans is very appealing. Nice job!

Mike Holley said...

Oh great composition with the swans!!!

bvlindalou said...

great comp with the lines in the snow and the swans forming a line also.

Germaine said...

Interesting composition with the white snow and the water. It almost looks as if you did something fancy with masks and combined two pictures.

Unknown said...

You did a great job keeping the geese from blending into their surroundings. White on white is hard to accomplish, specially in reflective snow. I like how the grass underneath is really green.