Monday, March 19, 2007

Week 11: Paddington Station, London

Details: Nikon D80 with Tokina 18-200 lens; ISO 800; 1/8 s, f/5.6 with -1.33 EV compensation (highlight control :-)

This was the week that I was really suffering from a lack of inspiration. Then I was asked to meet some clients for dinner in London and I figured that maybe there was a chance of making something from nothing. So I set myself a 30 minute challenge at Paddington station to try and capture some of the vitality that exists in a train station when the commuters are on their way home.

I was on one of the passenger bridges at the exit end of the station, looking towards the main passenger entrance, when I noticed this train starting to leave. Hand-held shot, balanced on the infrastructure of the bridge, and then post processed to open the shot out a bit.

7 comments:

Konrad said...

Great composition, I like how the roof meets the supports at the top third line. The trains, lights and curves on the roof really draw ones eye in the centre of the frame. The shot is sharp, even though it was hand-held.

Jen P. said...

This is cool. I love these types of shots. I'd like to try more of them myself, but I'm not brave enough to try to sneak around without security catching me. They are soooo strict here. :) The lines of this are great, they lead us all the way through the photo.

Kelly Steele said...

I like this a lot. Great perspective and it has some grit to it. The movement on the train to the right is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Great picture and wonderful composition. The movement of the train adds a nice touch!

Jeff said...

Good use of perspective and leading lines in this one.

Mike Holley said...

Great shot of Paddington. You did a good job with hand holding and the light.

Anonymous said...

Very nice, warmy and intense. Exactly what you can feel, traveller in a so big place. I'm also consern by your photo because I'm about to get a D80 + Tokina 18-200... (from Paris)