Sunday, January 21, 2007

Week 3: Back In Woodstock At Night


Details: Nikon D80, Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3, focal length 135mm, 30 seconds @ f/13, ISO 100
I had the chance to go back to Woodstock (see Week 1) but this time at night. The town has a great ambiance and I spent a happy (if cold) couple of hours walking through a small section of the town with camera and tripod. Aside from the one or two weird looks most of the town's folk seemed to regard the sight of a lunatic with a tripod taking obscure pictures of their town as a normal occurrence.

This is a detail from the parish church for Woodstock, St Mary Magdalene,
"which has been at the spiritual and geographical heart of Woodstock for a thousand years". Somehow the cross and shadow were evocative and timeless, capturing the age of the town while also asking us to remember mankind's troubles, so pertinent in the current strife-ridden climate of our planet. It also seemed 'right' to process this as a black and white shot, processed in PS using the "B&W Filter 1.0" with a B&W filter setting of "Red", a development type of "High Contrast", paper set to "Grade 4 - Hard" and colour tone set to "Kallitype".

I have posted some other shots from this session on my SmugMug site including a full view of the church.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, that's why I'm shy of tripod. I love the sepia tone here. I wish to see the whole church in its full glory.

james_so said...

I like the eerie feel this shot has.

Mike Holley said...

Eerie feel indeed.

I must explore Woodstock. It's somewhere I drive through on route to Oxford...

Jeff said...

This is my favorite image on your site thus far. I think it is the lighting that appeals to me, with the shadow of course. You have a lot of detail captured in this one, making it interesting to spend some time viewing.

sacker said...

Great capture! The cross and shadow are so strong, and I think your post-processing choices were spot on. I love how stark white and black the cross and shadow are, with plenty of interesting things going on in the background midtones.

Keep up the good work.

Kelly Steele said...

There's something horror filmish about this shot with the stark shadow of the cross on the side of the church. I like it. :)

John M. Setzler, Jr. said...

Very nicely done... I love the tone and texture :)

Germaine said...

Beautiful tones and textures. Good capture of the cross and shadow. The partial inscription at the bottom makes it a universal shot.

Unknown said...

How very gothic. I love this sort of stuff. The shadow is my favorite part.